new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")

From: Mike Miller
Subject: new versions of Octave (was "How to print plots on a printer?")
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:30:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

| Will 2.9.x become the new standard leading to octave-3.0?

Once it seems that 2.9.x works well enough for general use, we will start calling it the "recommended" snapshot on the download page. Eventually, 2.9.x will become 3.0.

The jump in version numbers was to indicate that 2.9.x included significant new functionality (primarily sparse matrices) and to allow us to continue making bug-fixing snapshots with sequentially ordered 2.1.x version numbers.

At what point in the development sequence were multi-dimensional arrays added to Octave? Were they added first to the 2.9.x series, then added to the 2.1.x series? I think that marked a fairly big increment in functionality.

Mike