octave->gnuplot->fig->eps

From: A Scotte Hodel
Subject: octave->gnuplot->fig->eps
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:58:52 -0500

A few weeks ago I wrote about what appeared to be a bug in the script figfrag.
        http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/graphics/figfrag/figfrag
figfrag is used to process fig output, such as that generated by the gnuplot from Octave, in order to insert LaTeX commands into the resulting .eps file.

I've tracked down the problem in the figfrag script, but I don't know how to fix it nor to whom it should be reported.

Here's a test file:

tt = linspace(0,10);
yy = cos(tt);
plot(tt,yy);
text(0.5,0.5,'Hey, did this work?');
print('testplot4.fig','-dfig');

Line 14 of the resulting .fig file is:
4 2 0 0 -1 0 10.000  0 2 125.000 150.000 1637 4612 -1\001

figfrag processes this file and replaces line 14 in a temporary file with
4 2 0 0 -1 0 10.000  0 2 125.000 150.000 1637 mark-0000\001

Notice that the last number, 4612, is not stored in the file. As a result, fig2dev complains of an incomplete text object. figfrag only write 13 fields for the text object, when 14 are needed. This consistently happens with all text objects in the original xfig file.

If anyone knows how to fix the problem (or who's maintaining figfrag), this would be a useful addition to the octave plotting package.

Thanks,