[leasqr broken] conflict with ss.m

From: Martijn Brouwer
Subject: [leasqr broken] conflict with ss.m
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:01:08 +0200

Hi,
I have program that performs a least squares optimisation using leasqr.m. I used to run fine, but now it is broken. When I run it I get this output:

Change in parameter(s): 1 2 were constrained
Change in parameter(s): 1 2 were constrained
Change in parameter(s): 1 2 were constrained
Change in parameter(s): 1 2 were constrained
Change in parameter(s): 1 2 were constrained
usage: retsys = ss  (a,b,c{,d,tsam,n,nz,stname,inname,outname,outlist})
error: evaluating if command near line 192, column 3
error: called from `ss' in file `/usr/share/octave/2.1.69/m/control/system/ss.m'
error: evaluating binary operator `<' near line 248, column 8
error: if: error evaluating conditional expression
error: evaluating if command near line 248, column 3
error: evaluating for command near line 186, column 1
error: called from `leasqr' in file `/usr/share/octave/site/m/octave-forge/optim/leasqr.m

I don't think the messages concerning the constraints are a problem.
the problem is indicated by the line:
usage: retsys = ss  (a,b,c{,d,tsam,n,nz,stname,inname,outname,outlist})

According to comments in  leasqr.m ss should be a variable

% ss=scalar sum of squares=sum((wt.*(y-f))^2).

Apparently, this variable is not defined. Octave tries to call ss.m instead, which results in the message. So leasqr.m seams to be broken somewhere.

Strangely, leasqrdemo.m and a small test program written by myself work correctly.

I hope somebody can help me locating the problem.

Martijn Brouwer