Operations on sparse matricies (in 2.9.2)

From: Shaun Cloherty
Subject: Operations on sparse matricies (in 2.9.2)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:37:59 -0500

I recently downloaded version 2.9.2 to explore its support for sparse
matrices. In my script I have a number of operations like this;

AM = kron(speye(N), D2M);

where N = 130 and D2M is a 82 x 82 sparse matrix.

I kind of expected the result (AM) to be a 10660 x 10660 sparse matrix
but octave returns a 10660 x 10660 full matrix (occupying something like
900Mb) which, to my naive understanding, seems to negate to some extent
the benefit of using sparse matrices. I am a complete novice on the
subject of sparse matrices so I have little idea if expectation is
reasonable or not. Am I missing something here or should I file a bug
report?

Regards,

Shaun

--
Shaun Cloherty
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering