How to "vectorize" for parametric 3d plotting?

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: How to "vectorize" for parametric 3d plotting?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:56:19 -0700

How do I easily convert a 2 dimensional data set and an
ordinate array for 3d parametric plotting?

For example, I have real data in a matrix, let's call it
sig and it's 500 x 100

the 500 values are evenly spaced, but the 100 values follow
a weird "log" shape.  The relaionship between index and
value is stored in ordinate, an array that is 1 x 100

originally the simple command...

>> gsplot signal

    ...yields a great mesh plot.

However, I'd like the side that is 100 to be changed to the
ordinate values.

I know it's possible to do this type of plot using
paramatric, but parametric data must take the form
>> parametricplotvalues = [x1, y1, z1; x2, y2, z2; etc

Right now I use "for, for" loops to mix index, ordinate,
and sig values to make a plotvalues array.  ..very slow.

How does one "vectorize", intermixing the values stored in
ordinate and sig, without using for loops?

               - Robert -