Where is __gnuplot_replot__ ?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Where is __gnuplot_replot__ ?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:25:43 -0600

As an attempt to remove the annoying warnings about gset and graw from my
output, I tried rewriting print.m using only __gnuplot_raw__ with a string
to define the output, e. g.,

    g_str = ["set terminal ",origterm,"\n"];
    __gnuplot_raw__(g_str);

instead of

    eval (sprintf ("__gnuplot_set__ terminal %s", origterm));

which seems to be almost working.

When I get near the end of the routine, a routine __gnuplot_replot__ is
called without arguments, apparently to create the replot. I have a pause
statement to be sure that's where I am, because octave won't tell me:

   disp('ready for __gnuplot_replot__ 1');
   pause
    __gnuplot_replot__

 and, later

   disp('ready for __gnuplot_replot__ 2');
   pause
    __gnuplot_replot__

at this point I get execution errors (after the usual annoying warnings
about gset and graw which I can't locate):

  ready for __gnuplot_replot__ 1
  error: plot: can only plot in 2 or 3 dimensions
  ready for __gnuplot_replot__ 2
  error: plot: can only plot in 2 or 3 dimensions
  error: called from `print' in file `/Users/jakoski/Codes/Recession Rate
Calculations/print.m'
error: called from `run_recess_spline' in file
`/Users/jakoski/Codes/Recession Rate Calculations/run_recess_spline.m'

which I have seen before when I feed a bad plot string to gnuplot. My plot
to gnuplot via AquaTerm, that I'm trying to print directly to postscript, is
OK. (Yes, I know I can save it with AquaTerm, but I'm looking for a quick
way of saving all plots. Besides, I get superscripts, subscripts, and Greek
symbols with gnuplot-4.0 postscript output.)

Questions:

1) Where is __gnuplot_replot__? Is it a C++ routine? Where does it find its
input parameters?

2) What is the easiest way to see the string that is causing this error?
Look at each g_str output line by removing the semicolons?

Thanks for any suggestions. I can forward my (almost) working script if
anyone wants to inspect it.

Joe