Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:29:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Steve C. Thompson wrote:

Fine.  Let's end this one now.

Then stop replying.

Joe tells me that I forgot to tell everyone what kind of computer I'm using.

I believe he did not say that you forgot. I believe he said that you hadn't said what kind of computer you were using. So he wasn't really correcting you.

This is annoying since this is besides the point.

Maybe you felt like you were being corrected and that annoyed you. You did not come across well at all. I can understand why people replied to you. I didn't think he was very annoying, and more importantly, his question was not beside the point. You wanted a software recommendation and he probably knew of some programs that worked well on some platforms and not on others.

I asked about a FOSS alternative, thus implying I'm using a computer that isn't proprietary.

Plenty of people run FOSS ("Free and Open Source Software," I assume) on Microsoft Windows, so I don't believe that you are correct.

Mike