Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output

From: Hamish Allan
Subject: Re: WG: Tools for mathematical calculations and graphical output
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:03:41 +0100

Steve,

Please educate me: what is a F(L)OSS for proprietary platforms?
Examples?

http://www.feedreader.com/
http://www.sshkeychain.org/

  What is F(L)OSS?  A joke on FOSS (free/open-source software)
or something more meaningful?

FLOSS is a term similar to FOSS, but emphasises libre rather than gratis freedom. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSS, which also points out that "legally speaking, only public domain software is non-proprietary."

I'm running a FOSS system (Debian GNU/Linux) on a Dell computer.  In
your mind is this FOSS for proprietary platforms?  The Dell certainly
has proprietary components on it. (Though I'm not exactly sure. I know
that the openness of BIOS is an issue these days.)

The platform is not just the hardware, but the software as well. One platform is Debian GNU/Linux running on x86 hardware; a different platform is Debian on PowerPC. You might have a piece of FOSS that compiles and runs on one but not the other. Other platforms include Windows on x86, Mac OS X on PowerPC, etc. Plenty of FOSS works fine on my Mac, but plenty doesn't.

I don't understand what you are talking about.  Assuming I'm running a
system with the tools that make GNU Octave possible, I'm just curious if
there is a FOSS Mathcad/Mathematica replacement; as Octave can be
considered a replacement to MATLAB.  So, I don't know what you are
talking about with this ``F(L)OSS proprietary platform
Mathcad/Mathematica replacement.''

GNU Octave is possible on various platforms; certain FOSS is not (see examples above). Is this any clearer now?

OK, maybe I'm making poor assumptions; any ideas what they could be?

It sounded like you were assuming that anything that could run any FOSS could run all FOSS.

Best wishes,
Hamish