Re: multiline comments

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: multiline comments
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:06:47 -0500

Geordie McBain wrote:

Is multiline comments supported in Octave?

Using short-circuit Boolean operators like

        octave> 1||[
        > blah
        > blah blah
        > ];
octave>
does the job.  Doesn't really recommend itself as a comment syntax
though, does it?  I think I recall reading something like this idea on
this list a while ago but can't find it now, and can't remember
whether anything less monstrous was suggested.
I'm not sure if this is what was meant in the original question, but Matlab 7 now supports block comments of the form
%{
  commented stuff here
%}

As far as I know this has not yet been implemented in octave. It may be implemented eventually, but I think it's a low priority for those most actively involved in octave development. I'm sure John would welcome a patch to support this. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with octave's parser to attempt this. In the mean time, as Geordie suggests, there are other workaraounds (my preferred one is if(0) ... end).
-Quentin