clear all and gnuplot (was Weird error with gnuplot: 'invalid command')

From: Alexander Klink
Subject: clear all and gnuplot (was Weird error with gnuplot: 'invalid command')
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:51:43 +0200

Hi John,
Hi help & bug,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:26:17AM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> What version of Octave are you using?  There have been some recent and
I am currently using 2.9.1.

> significant changes to the way Octave interacts with gnuplot, so the
> version probably matters.  And in any case, when reporting problems
> with software, it is a good idea to supply information like that if
> you would like people to have a reasonable chance of being able to
> help you.
Of course you're right here. I realized that I missed providing this
information right after I left work yesterday :-/

Luckily, today I found out what the difference between my working
example and the "real" program was: there is a
clear all;
line (left from the Matlab code I am porting from, if I understand
help clear correctly, this might not do the same thing in Octave).
That is what makes octave crash.
A simple example is the following

clear all;
A = [1 2 3 4 5];
B = [2 4 6 8 10];
plot (A, B);

address@hidden:/igd/a8/home/stud/aklink/matlab/matlab$ octave minimalexample.m
GNU Octave, version 2.9.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 2005 John W. Eaton.
[...]

gnuplot> '/tmp/oct-fWxadW'  "line 1"
         ^
         line 0: invalid command

The machine here is a Debian sarge where I compiled 2.9.1 from source
(no additional configure options where used).
The above code works fine in the 2.1.64 provided by Debian.
If I leave the "all" out, it works fine as well. IMHO, this is still
a bug.

Greetings,
                Alex