Re: [OctDev] random numbers for distributed computations

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: [OctDev] random numbers for distributed computations
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:45:38 +0200

Hi David,
I have a question about this. If a RNG has a period of X, that means that
there are X unique values that are generated, and then the sequence repeats.
But is the set of X values unique, so that the same X values will be
generated eventually, regardless of the seed, just in a different order? Or
do the X values themselves depend on the seed?

That is, suppose a RNG has period 3. When we get a seed from /dev/urandom, if
a first sequence is
1 2 3 1 2 3

Will another seed give something like

2 3 4 2 3 4