Re: Help with mathematical function

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Help with mathematical function
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:22:48 -0700

Stefan,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is the data only "looks" like a spiral.  There
is actual information in the way the spiral decays,
including "lumpiness".

My problem was that the angle() function resets itself as
the spiral decays.  It is very easy to get erroneously huge
delta angle changes at those junctions.

Luckily the angle steps are known to be small enough that
one should NEVER get too large a change in angle.

So my solution was to add some simple "if" tests.
v(i,k) is an array of complex values...

for i=1:500
  for k=2:100
...processing v(i,k)...
delta_angle(i,k)=angle(v(i,k))-angle(v(i,k-1));
if { delta_angle(i,k) > pi() )
  delta_angle(i,k) = delta_angle(i,k) - 2*pi();
endif
if ( delta_angle(i,k) < -pi() )
  delta_angle(i,k) = delta_angle(i,k) + 2*pi();
endif
...more processing of results(i,k)...
  endfor
endfor

The tests still fail when the spiral is really close to
zero, but by then the contribution to error is quite small
since the absolute vector length is so small.

The only problem now is that the loops to do this, the
for..for.. loops, take several minutes.

Is there someway to use vector math?  And still include the
checks on the angles?  Or, at least disable the constant
testing of the sizes of the variables which goes on each
time the loop is exercised?

        - Robert -