RE: How do script commands differ from term commands?

From: Hall, Benjamin
Subject: RE: How do script commands differ from term commands?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:09:49 -0400

How are you using your function "f"?  Remember, Octave is designed for
numerical computations, so you have to explicitly give numeric values to the
function.  For example:

        octave:1> function y = f(x)
        > y = cos(x/2)+x;
        > end

        octave:2> f(3)
        ans = 3.0707

        octave:4> x = [37 33 20 19];
        octave:5> f(x)
        ans =

          37.940  32.298  19.161  18.003

But trying to run the function by itself doesn't work:

        octave:3> f
        error: `x' undefined near line 2 column 9
        error: evaluating binary operator `/' near line 2, column 10
        error: evaluating argument list element number 1
        error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 2, column 13
        error: evaluating assignment expression near line 2, column 3
        error: called from `f'
        octave:3>

Does that help?

I figure it is not a command problem, but rather an installation
problem since a simple file with the commands below does not work
either.

function y = f (x)
y = cos(x/2)+x;
end

Any ideas what the problem might be? The error message is:

error: `x' undefined near line 2 column 9
error: evaluating binary operator `/' near line 2, column 10
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating binary operator `+' near line 2, column 13
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 2, column 3
error: called from `f' in file `/octave_files/f.m'

Sorry for spamming in this way...

- Peder