How to not echo what the user types?

From: Edward C. Jones
Subject: How to not echo what the user types?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:30:52 -0400

I am trying to use Octave from Python using the "pexpect" module. In Octave, everything that come in via stdin is send right back out via stdout split into lines with some CNTL-H's added. This is done so the interactive user can see what he is typing. It would be much easier for me if this echoing was suppressed. Can this be done?