Re: Standalone windows install: why?

From: Stefan van der Walt
Subject: Re: Standalone windows install: why?
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:04:36 +0200

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:04:39PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 31-Mar-2005, Brian Blais <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I would *love* to have a standalone windows install more recent than the
> |   2.1.50, without having to do a cygwin install (and I'll check out the
> | one posted), and I don't even run windows.
>
> Do you mean that you want a simple way to install Octave on Windows,
> or that you want an Octave binary that does not depend on Cygwin at
> all?

Paul Kienzle has done a lot of work on the Windows installer.  He has
got everything in place -- it just needs a few tweaks.  The 2.1.50
distribution on the octave forge website depends only on a few loose
cygwin .dlls.

But even if we could distribute Octave as a zip file (a directory,
with a cygwin/gcc 3.2 compiled octave.exe and the appropriate .dlls)
it would already be helpful to many people.  Should be around 6Mb in
size -- much more accessible than the whole cygwin.

Regards
Stefan