plot saving

From: mavram
Subject: plot saving
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:55:38 +0200

I see that you got plenty of answers for your first question and
none for the second.
In order to save a plot, like in gnuplot you replot it to some
"other terminal".
The sequence of commands (in octave is):
gset term postscript % look up gnuplot manual or help for the various optins of
this term
gset output "whatever you like"
replot
% And then don't forget to return to your default
gset term X11

In my experience, for some reason, the next plot tends to replace
your previously saved plot with an empty file. So, it's safer to
move it away to some other directory, before anything else.
Using the term fig (see again its options in the gnuplot
manual/help), you get the option to annotate/edit your graph with
xfig, which can export it to a variety of formats.
I saw in previous correspondence that there are functions in
octave forge which do the same thing as the series of steps I
just described, apparently better. I did not try them. You know:
"If ain't broken, do not mend it!". But you may find them more
comfotable. Search the mail archive.
Cheers, Avraham