Re: [ANNOUNCE] cmo 0.0.4 released, cmo SourceForge page created.

From: Driss Ghaddab
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] cmo 0.0.4 released, cmo SourceForge page created.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:56:07 +0100

Hi,

Mike Miller a écrit :
I would like to understand what CMO does. Is there a source on the web that gives more details? I would especially like to understand how this can be used to make Octave more useful for users interested in specific scientific applications of Octave. What does CMO do?

CMO is mainly intersting for developers to add functionalities to Octave. Users would be interested in the provided modules (currently a timer).

For example, CMO will help (me) to develope GUI functionalities for Octave that are compatible with MATLAB®. (First step is only GUI, second step is plotting, by adapting already available plotting packages).

You are right, the SourceForge page is somewhat misleading in that you need to click the "Home Page" to go to the more detailed page.

Please, see http://driss.ghaddab.free.fr/cmo/

When I click on a "view documentation" link on the sourceforge pages, I get nothing.

Documentation is still in progress, too. There is the beginning of a tutorial at:
http://driss.ghaddab.free.fr/cmo/cmo-tutorial.h

I downloaded the program and looked in the doc directory. There is a .tex file that starts out like this:

  A module \Module\ is what is run in a separate thread. A module
  communicates with Octave via its module interface \ModuleInterface\
  that leverages all communication and basic management tasks from the
  module.  There exist one and only one module of some type.  Each
  developed module must be derived from the abstract class \Module. Each
  module is identified with a unique case-sensitive name.

To me this seems rather cryptic.

It's because it is rather a pre-alpha documentation of the internals of CMO.

I think this is something I can use, but I'm not quite understanding what it will look like from a user perspective once a module is configured and working. I don't know how the module is called - from the shell? from Octave?

From Octave. For example, the provided module is a timer. You would init the module via the provided init script. Then you would type in Octave:

a=timer('StartDelay', 2, 'StartFcn', 'disp(''Timer started'')', 'TimerFcn', 'disp(''timer!'')');
a.Start();

The timer can be used to schedule the execution of commands.
See ./timer/README.

Cheers,

--
Driss Ghaddab