Congratulations!

From: Richard Hindmarsh
Subject: Congratulations!
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:17:46 +0000

I recently got interested in Octave after seeing that sparse matrices were available, and compiled a recent CVS. I tried running a Matlab/mex fluid dynamcis script of probably 2000 lines, and got it to run with little trouble (I had to find the functions "inputname" and "num2cell"). For a particuilar test case on a particular computer, Matlab runs it in 10s. Octave runs it in 15s, but with a dual processing BLAS library I can get the time down to 10s again. his was without the benefit of being able to optimise with a profiler on Octave. The answers are the same (apart from last two figures of double precision numbers). T

I'm hugely impressed, and having Octave as a potential multi-threaded platform on many architectures is a real bonus.

Thanks to all concerned
Richard Hindmarsh