aucapture - record problems.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: aucapture - record problems.
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:16:12 -0500

On 15-Mar-2005, Jose Colmenares <address@hidden> wrote:

| I'm trying to save a signal using my soundcard as an
| adquisition card. To do that, I'm using the function
| record.m, but what I get is a vector whose elements
| are all -1. When I use aucapture, I get a message
| like: "aurecord failed. Perhaps audio device is in
| use? ", and well, it is not!
|
| I was first trying to play a signal, and had some
| troubles because I had not the right permisions to
| /dev/audio and /dev/dsp (or something like that...
| sorry, the box I'm using has no internet and cannot
| check out the exact names and phrases). Could I have a
| similar problem now? I now have read-write-execute
| permisions on /dev/audio and /dev/dsp.

It would not surpise me that Octave's audio processing functions do
not work correctly on modern systems.  They were written about a
decade ago to work with simple audio formats using external programs
that may no longer be commonly used, and they have not been modified
much since then.

I have not looked at what is available in octave-forge.  Perhaps there
is something better there?

In any case, if people want something better, I think the route to
take is to write the code and contribute it for everyone's benefit.

Thanks,

jwe