warnings when using --traditional

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: warnings when using --traditional
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:34:25 -0500

On 21-Mar-2005, Corbin Champion <address@hidden> wrote:

| When I use:
| octave --traditional
| and then do a simple compand first, such as
| plot(1:5)
| I get a long list of warnings about possible matlab incompatability.
| I am using 2.1.67.  Is this the normal response?  It there a way to fix
| these issues?  Will this be a problem for me?

I just checked in a change so that Octave does not set
warn_matlab_incompatible to true when using --traditional.

For now, you can add

  warn_matlab_incompatible = false;

to your ~/.octaverc file.

| The plot works as expected
| and when the command is repeated, the same warnings do not pop up, but the
| first time they always do.

The warnings only happen once because they are generated with the
functions you are using are compiled, but not when they are executed.

BTW, the --traditional option now only sets the following things:

  * always behave as though starting with --persist option

  * set the following built-in variables:

    PS1 = ">> "
    PS2 =  ""
    beep_on_error = true
    crash_dumps_octave_core = false
    default_save_format = "mat-binary"
    fixed_point_format = true
    page_screen_output = false
    print_empty_dimensions = false
    warn_function_name_clash = false

so it seems there are only two substantial settings here (the default
format for save files and the --persist option).

jwe