Status of octave on Fedora

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Status of octave on Fedora
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:11:14 -0600

There has been recent discussion on this list about installing octave and related packages on Fedora, so I thought I would post an update. Dmitri Sergatskov has been kind enough to make some space available on his FTP server for the RPMS I have created:
ftp://coffee.phys.unm.edu/pub/octave
This set includes version 2.1.67 of octave, octave-forge, and some additional dependencies to include the extra bells and whistles, as well as non-broken versions of blas and lapack (don't use the ones that come with Fedora Core 3). Missing are HDF5 and ATLAS. I intend to try packaging these eventually. Also not present in these RPMS (but required) is qhull, because it is now in Fedora Extras and can be obtained at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/3/i386/qhull-2003.1-2.i386.rpm

These were built on Fedora Core 3, but I have heard that Fedora Core 3 and 2 are binary compatible, so they may work on release 2 as well. For older versions such as FC1 or Red Hat 9, I would suggest downloading the SRPMS and building with the command:
rpmbuild --rebuild <SRPM file>

As for the future of octave on Fedora, it appears that I have finally cleared the beaurocratic obstacles to becoming the official Fedora Extras maintainer of octave and related packages. Octave, blas and lapack were removed from the first test release of Fedora Core 4, and I think it will stay that way. The updating programs (yum, up2date) will be enabled by default to install from Fedora Extras in Fedora Core 4, so by the time the final version is released, it should be possible to install everything with one command (yum install octave-forge), similar to Debian. Some packages from Fedora Extras are still being maintained in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but I don't know whether that will include octave.

I have been building these packages for my own use for a long time, so this project should be manageable, but if anyone is interested in helping (especially with figuring out how to package ATLAS), please let me know.

regards,
Quentin