Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.4.3

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.4.3
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:48:10 +0100

John,

| I have come to the conclusion that all the libraries used by octave will
| have to be rebuilt with this compiler to be completely viable. However, it
| looks promising enough that I will give it a go over the next few weeks.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this message.

You have quite enough on your plate to be responding to every message; particularly on a bit of a minority interest like Cygwin support.

Yes, it seems we could build Octave with our own "home-built" GCC that
has dwarf2 exception handling enabled, but as you say, then we would
probably also need to rebuild all the libraries (including
cygwin.dll?) that Octave uses.  Also, users would have to build .oct
files with this compiler.  It seems like a lot of trouble, and
confusing to the average user.  It would be much better if the GCC and
Cygwin people could agree on and implement a real fix.

As I said, the result is "quirky" and so not at all satisfactory, in any case. I agree with you; prticularly in light of various other Cygwin troubles that come to light in trying to support gfortran on that platform.

I will endeavour to find out who can help. This is not at all evident since many, if not most, of the gcc developers seem to be somewhat in awe of the innards of error handling. I'll come back to you on it.

Paul T

PS Have been keeping an eye on octave developments - well done on octave-2.9.