Re: Including BLAS library.

From: Richard Hindmarsh
Subject: Re: Including BLAS library.
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:39:52 +0000

Thanks. Actually (at least in CSH) it turns out that all one needs to do is

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH=myblasdir

and the configure options are irrelevant - this was mentioned in a posting last year.

It turned out my problem stemmed from the fact that I was using the Goto BLAS library, which doesn't contain xerbla, which tripped an error in config and lead to the default library being used.
Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH allows one to pick up the Goto library.

More fun (and I suppose people know this) is to

./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static LDFLAGS=-lpthread

and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a directory containing a multi-threaded e.g Goto BLAS. Then one gets multi-threaded matrix multiplications, unlike some other commercial matrix-based interpreters. Typically, with one processor (Xeon 1.7GHz) I get around 2.5 Gflops and 4.2 Gflops for dual processors for a 1000x1000 matrix multiiplication with the Goto libraries.

Richard

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 17-Mar-2005, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

| I configured with
| | ./configure
| --prefix=/local1/data/glacier/rcah/rcah/octavecvs/installdir
| --enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static
| --with-blas=/users/glacier/rcah/rcah/blas/x86/libblas.so
| | the purpose being to include a particular blas library. However, at
| end of configure process, I get the following, which makes me
| suspect I am not picking up the BLAS library I want. Am I doing the
| --with-blas option correctly?

Probably you just need to do

 ./configure LDFLAGS=-L/users/glacier/rcah/rcah/blas/x86 ... other options ...

though you may also need to need to set some other linker flags or set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that Octave can also find the library at run-time.

jwe