Re: Octave very slow on Cygwin

From: Paul Laub
Subject: Re: Octave very slow on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:24:12 -0500

Reiner,

As John Eaton said in another response to your question, the problem
is with the setjmp / longjmp exception handling of cygwin gcc version
3.3 and more recent. One workaround is to build Octave using cygwin
gcc 3.2. That's what I did and it solved the slowness problem. Finding
gcc 3.2, however, is more of a challenge. The official cygwin site
does not offer it (last I checked). However, there is another site
where you can get it. See this posting --

The site is

http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII3.0/cygwin.htm

It's worth the hassle of recreating the cygwin environment with gcc
3.2 and then building Octave from the sources.

Paul Laub