Re: Sparse-merge

From: Richard Hindmarsh
Subject: Re: Sparse-merge
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:38:09 -0600

David Bateman wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

| Thanks. Will 2.9.x (or does the main trunk) have an interface to ARPACK | (e.g. through "eigs"), or is anyone working on this?

Not yet.  SEe the list of projects for sparse matrices in the file

http://www.octave.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/octave/PROJECTS?rev=1.60&view=auto

ARPACK is definitely on the todo list. It is a complete lack of time at the moment that will prevent me from doing something here.

If you want to do the ARPACK interfacing, I'd welcome the help and would be willing to vet the code and give pointers.

I could possibly do it - I used ARPACK before "eigs" appeared in Matlab and have written .mex files though not .oct. Am motivated but short of time.

A quick look at "eigs" in Matlab shows that "eigs.m" calls an interface routine called "arpackc.dll" (or whatever suffix). It also looks as though "eigs" would be largely useable in Octave. I guess that an Octave "arpackc" would not be too difficult to write but what is then one expected to do - rewrite "eigs" so that it doesn't look like the Matlab one?

The same thing arises with other routines on the "sparse" to-do list, e.g. the conjugate-gradient solvers "cgs" etc. They look as though the Matlab versions would work more or less out of the (Matlab) box. Here the copyright aspect may be less relevant as "cgs.m", "bicgs.m" etc. are obtainable from netlib anyhow

"Templates for the
%     Solution of Linear Systems: Building Blocks for Iterative
%     Methods", Barrett, Berry, Chan, Demmel, Donato, Dongarra,
%     Eijkhout, Pozo, Romine, and van der Vorst, SIAM Publications,
%     1993. (ftp netlib2.cs.utk.edu; cd linalg; get templates.ps)

Regards
Richard