linear programming

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: linear programming
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:22:14 -0500

On  6-Mar-2005, Jeff Abrahamson <address@hidden> wrote:

| It looks like octave uses NPSOL to do linear programming, which in
| turn means that it can't be distributed with that functionality
| because of the license conflict.
|
|   http://www.cheric.org/education/eduaids/octave/octman/octave_75.html#SEC86

Why have you chosen this site to look at the Octave manual?  The
Octave web pages are at www.octave.org.  Random pages on the net have
a tendency to be out of date...

| Am I mistaken?

Yes.  :-)

There may have once been an interface to NPSOL, but it is not
currently a part of Octave.

| Or, if not, is there a reason (say, politics) why octave doesn't use
| glpk, which is GPL?
|
|   http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html
|
| If someone can point me in the right direction, I'm willing to take a
| stab at making a glpk version of the lpsol function (stub?), as LP is
| something I often need.

Someone is already working on this but I haven't heard about the
status for about a month now.

| (Is this the right place to post these questions?)

Yes.

jwe