gui tools for octave: proof of concept

From: Brian Blais
Subject: gui tools for octave: proof of concept
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:02:10 -0500

Hello,

One of the (few) things that I have found lacking in Octave has been tools for making interfaces. There is tkoctave, but I personally didn't find that to be as easy as I would like (the problem on my side, most likely). Anyway, I decided to start to write my own, and you can check out the extremely beta, proof of concept at http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais/octave/fl.tar

I wrote it for Linux over the past week, and haven't thought much about portability, or install scripts at this point (I just wanted something to work). It uses the FL toolkit (www.fltk.org). I tried to make the octave syntax as close to matlab as possible, but it also uses a bit of the FL syntax for the menus, like:

uimenu('label','&File/&Open','callback','fileopen;','shortcut','^o');

The thing that makes it a bit different than other projects like this, is that it doesn't use external program calls. It only calls a single .oct file, and that file communicates with the parser to do the callbacks. Also, all of the object information is stored in octave, in a global structure. There are get and set functions (uiget, uiset), and you can change most properties of the objects (menu names, visibility, text, enable,callbacks). I haven't implemented all of the uiobjects, just menus, popups, listbox, editbox, pushbutton and radiobutton.

I do have a couple of questions:

1) is this the proper forum for such announcements?
2) if I carry this through to be more useable, what is the proper procedure for distribution? 3) although I don't have the time now, if this eventually wants to be included in octave-forge or something like that, what needs to be done for that? what level of testing is needed, and how do you generate the install scripts? 4) if anyone wants to check it out, and give me feedback, that would be great! mostly, I'm just doing it right now to port some interface code from Matlab to Octave, but I thought someone might find it useful.

                        thanks,

                                Brian Blais

--

            address@hidden