How to read a mixed-type text data file?

From: Marcus Vinicius Eiffle Duarte
Subject: How to read a mixed-type text data file?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:49:30 -0300

Hey, folks!

I am porting some code from Matlab to Octave. In the beginning of the
main program, I need to load a database of chemical compounds, which
is stored in a CSV text file, with 3 numeric columns and 1 text
compound (the name of the compound). For several reasons, I must keep
the input in a CSV text format, and the list of compounds is
frequently updated, with the inclusion of some records per month.

I have been using a file called loadcell.m, contributed to the Matlab
Central's File Exchange. It uses C-style low level input functions to
read binary data. I adapted the code to run under Octave (tested only
under Linux - Fedora Core 3). In Matlab it is rather slow, and in
Octave it is not faster.

Does anyone have some good (fast) code to load such files? Am I
msssing some existent function (maybe in Octave-Forge)?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus Vinicius