Re: Complex results from real calculation

From: Geordie McBain
Subject: Re: Complex results from real calculation
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:52:44 +1100

(Quite far off topic now.)

No, I was referring to the International Standard Atmosphere.  It's a
standard construct or model used in basic aerodynamics.  I was talking
about it rather than the actual atmosphere, because that's where the
problematic formula came from.

 `The International Standard Atmosphere is defined by the assumption
that the temperature is a particular linear function of the height h
above sea-level up to 36,093 ft. and is thereafter constant.[...] The
part of the atmosphere below 36,093 ft. is called the troposphere, the
part above that level is the stratosphere.'

(L. M. Milne-Thomson 1973 Theoretical Aerodynamics, 4th edn, Dover,
p. 38.)

O.K.?  I'm happy to continue the discussion off list.

Geordie McBain
www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/~mcbain

----- End forwarded message -----