Re: retaining interpreter when running script from command line

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: retaining interpreter when running script from command line
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:13:14 -0600

E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 10:44, John W. Eaton wrote:
On  3-Mar-2005, E. Joshua Rigler <address@hidden> wrote:

| I want to be able to run a script from the OS command line, but stay
| inside the interpreter after the script finishes executing.  In other
| words, if I type:
| | Unix Shell> octave script.m | | ...I do NOT want Octave to exit upon completion of script.m.

If you convert your script to a function that takes no arguments, you
can use

 octave --funcall FUNC

jwe

This option does what I *said* I wanted, but it is not what I actually
need ;^).  If I use --funcall, I have to find some way to pass any
variables I might set in FUNC back to the interpreter.  I can think of
no good way to do this.

The motivation is to set up a temporary and limited-scope data analysis
environment that is part of a bigger "suite" that includes OpenDX and
associated modules, among a variety of other scripts and open-source
tools.  This environment should exist completely independent of the
user's default Octave environment (if they have one).  The following
script is a kludge that works on UNIX systems, but aside from being
less-than-portable, the user's ~/.octaverc file continues to be read:

#!/bin/sh

STARTDIR=$PWD
echo "STARTDIR='$PWD' ; cd(STARTDIR) ; clear STARTDIR " > /tmp/.octrc_end
cat $1 /tmp/.octrc_end > /tmp/.octaverc
cd /tmp
octave --silent
rm /tmp/.octaverc*
cd $STARTDIR
unset STARTDIR

-EJR

I think there's a --norc option that prevents octave from loading the ..octaverc file.