Applying the GPL (or any license) to your code

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Applying the GPL (or any license) to your code
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:48:42 -0500

Recently, I've seen many instances of people who intend to release
their code under the GPL simply adding a single line to each file,
usually something like

  ## This file is covered by the GPL.

or

  ## License: GNU GPL <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

The latter is slightly better, as it at least points to a location
where the text of the license can be found (at least for today -- what
will happen when that address is no longer valid?) but neither
statement is complete.

The proper way to distribute your code under the terms of the GPL is
described in an appendix to the GPL.  Directions and some explanation
about them may also be found here:

  http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-howto.html

I am not a lawyer, but I think it's important to follow these
guidelines carefully.  With the recommended text, there is a clear
copyright statement, disclaimer of warranty, and information about
where to find the license if it was not distributed with the code.
I encourage everyone who develops code for Octave to follow these
guidelines.  Even if you choose a different license, I suspect a
variation of these guidelines applies.

Thanks,

jwe