Evaluating octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Evaluating octave
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:18:26 -0500

On 26-Feb-2005, Madhusudan Singh <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am interested in using octave as a (complete) replacement for
| matlab (this includes writing code that would execute on both Matlab
| and Octave). Just now as I was trying to code an application, I
| found that the textscan function is not implemented in octave. Is
| there a FAQ somewhere which lists standard utilities that are a part
| of Matlab and not octave ? It would help me immensely in deciding
| whether to consider using octave any further for my purposes.

Octave is a community project.  Rather than give up on it because it
lacks one or two functions that you need, perhaps you will consider
implementing those functions and contributing them to the community.
That's what many others have done, and it is one of the reasons Octave
is currently as capable as it is.

Thanks,

jwe