Re: Applying patches [was "Re: Inconsistent behaviour of (:)"]

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Applying patches [was "Re: Inconsistent behaviour of (:)"]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:20:29 -0600

John B. Thoo wrote:

On Feb 22, 2005, at 7:31 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

Please try the following patch.

I'm sorry for what must be a truly daft question, but how does one apply a patch?

TIA.
---John.

The short answer is using the patch command on a Unix system (type "man patch") for more info.

A longer answer is that if you really need to use a fix that John has recently sent out, he has usually already checked the changes into CVS, so by following the instructions for CVS download on octave.org, you can download a recent copy of the cvs sources with the change applied. This is usually the route I take, since I also get other bugfixes with it as well. If you want to build octave from CVS, you will need a few additional tools installed, and prior to the usual "./configure; make; make install" sequence you also need to run "./autogen.sh".

Hope this helps.

Quentin