Re: connecting pd and octave

From: Driss Ghaddab
Subject: Re: connecting pd and octave
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:21:14 +0100

Franz Zotter wrote:
Hello

I would like to connect pd (PureData, Miller Puckett, real-time audio programming software) to octave. Therefore I am looking for following features:
- sending arrays/matrices(zexy-lib) from pd to an octave workspace variable
- sending an octave array to a pd table/matrix(zexy-lib) as message
- calling octave functions/scripts/commands sending a message from pd

I already tried to call octave from pd using the "shell" pd-external running "konsole -e octave myscript.m" and storing my pd data into an octave matrix file.

Hi,

I'm currently finishing a framework that may interest you. It is called "Concurrent Modules for GNU Octave", or CMO (http://driss.ghaddab.free.fr/cmo/). It provides the following functionalities:

- a way to create modules that are run in a separate thread along Octave (by providing an abstract class from which you would derive your own module). A module communicates with Octave's thread by using a command pipe and an event queue. The base class implements all necessary methods for the communication.

- a way to create objects related to the module by providing an abstract object class. The objects are accessed from within Octave by using a object-oriented syntax: object.property = value; object.method(arg) etc...

- a library to manage the modules and the event queue.

The event queue is queried by Octave when it is idl; and when an event is present, a user-defined callback is run by Octave.

This framework aims to provide the basis to implement matlab-compatible GUI functions to create user-interfaces. Currently, the framework is 90% finished, and a sample timer module (with same functionalities are matlab's one) is provided.

So, for your specific problem, you still would have to develope a module that communicates with pd and use CMO to handle the communication with GNU Octave and the CMO event queue.

The web page currently holds an old version with its related doxygen documentation. Many things have changed and I will provide a GNU arch mirror in the coming days. This will be announced to the relevant Octave mailing list.

This software is licensed under the GPL v2 license (or newer).
Cheers,