Re: data fitting

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: data fitting
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:17:27 -0700

Jiri,

This problem falls into the general area known as "parameter estimation
theory."

A singular Jacobian matrix during the least-squares fit usually indicates
that you have two or mare parameters that are linearly dependent. You can
find which parameters are giving you trouble by plotting (versus x) the
normalized sensitivity coefficients (for example, for a1, the normalized
coefficient would be a1 times the partial derivative of y with respect to
a1). With octave as a tool, you can plot all the sensitivity coefficients
for a1, a2, a3, and a4 on the same plot versus x. If you see the same shape
for two or more curves, then there's the problem, and you have to find an
independent way to get one of the parameters. You will also see over which
ranges of x the various parameters are important, and which parameter has
the highest relative sensitivity.

There are some text books on the subject out there. The course that I took
long ago used Beck and Arnold, "Parameter Estimation in Engineering and
Science," but it is long out of print, and not very easy to follow.

Joe