How do you guys do debugging?

From: Charles Fox
Subject: How do you guys do debugging?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:55:50 +0000 (GMT)

Just curious.... do you have debug tools inside of Emacs, Vim etc; or are
you using the command line debugger in octave itself?  Or just
putting printf statements all over your code?  Anyone having any
success with any of these gnome/kde/eclipse IDE debuggers yet?

What do you think is the most common method?

I am still stuck with my matlab as I rely a lot on the graphical debugger
to step throgh code and quickly see the contents of all the variables.  (I
grew up with Visual Studio.)  I'd very much like to move completely to
octave when this is possible.

...or are debuggers for wimps, and should I just write code that runs
properly in the first place?

A related question: what development tools are the developers /of/ octave
using to write their C code?  What debuggers?  What IDEs?

Charles