C++ style: variable names, white space, etc.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: C++ style: variable names, white space, etc.
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:18:09 -0500

On 19-Feb-2005, Steve C. Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:

| Please give some pointers on style.  I've read from the GNU Coding
| Standards (http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/) that it is best to use
| lowercase variables, and plenty of white space. It suggests spelling out
| variable names and avoiding abbreviations when possible.
|
| I took this to the extreme with this example:

Following the GNU coding standards, you would have something that
looks more like this:

// For M_PI
#include <cmath>

#include <octave/oct.h>

DEFUN_DLD (sct_complex_matrix, args, ,
  "Returns a complex matrix")
{
  octave_value retval;

  int subcarrier_number = 128;
  int oversample_factor = 4;
  int sample_per_block = subcarrier_number * oversample_factor;

  ComplexMatrix subcarrier_matrix (subcarrier_number, sample_per_block);

  for (int n = 0; n < sample_per_block; n++)
    {
      for (int k = 0; k < subcarrier_number; k++)
        {
          double tmp = 2 * M_PI * n * k / subcarrier_number;
          subcarrier_matrix(n,k) = Complex (cos (tmp), sin (tmp));
        }
    }

  retval = subcarrier_matrix;

  return retval;
}

Take a look at the Octave sources for more examples.

Using Emacs will help a lot with keeping the indentation consistent.

jwe