Re: Removing an old version

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Removing an old version
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:57:04 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 17-Feb-2005, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| | >On 17-Feb-2005, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
| >
| >| At this point you are probably still better going with | >| Andy's stuff as the development tree for the sparse code in octave has a | >| bit of leakage of the gnuplot split, that prevents all use of graphics. | >
| >I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Graphics seem to work for me with
| >Octave built from both on the main branch and the sparse-merge branch
| >of the CVS archive.
| >
| >jwe

| Copyright (C) 2004 John W. Eaton.
| This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
| There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
| FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.
| | Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org. | | Please contribute if you find this software useful.
| For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
| | Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
| http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).
| | error: `__gplot_init__' undefined near line 51 column 1 | error: near line 51 of file | `/opt/octave-sparse/libexec/octave/2.1.64/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu//PKG_ADD' | error: source: error sourcing file | `/opt/octave-sparse/libexec/octave/2.1.64/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu//PKG_ADD'
| octave:1> plot (1:10)
| error: `gset' undefined near line 178 column 3
| error: called from `plot' in file | `/opt/octave-sparse/share/octave/2.1.64/m/plot/plot.m'
| octave:1>
| | I considered this teething problems and haven't been too concerned to | chase down the reason. But since you say it works for you, I might....

The __gplot_init__.oct file should be installed in the directory
/opt/octave-sparse/libexec/octave/2.1.64/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu
along with the PKG_ADD file that calls it.  I just tried a "make
install" with the current sparse-merge branch and that seems to work
correctly for me.

jwe

Ok looking at this a bit further, I see that the gplot.cc file is not being built correctly from the gplot.l lex file. So basically, a broken version of gplot.cc is created in the built, and at the next make gplot.cc is considered to be upto date, and so none of the functions in gplot.l are ever built. When I try and buid gplot.cc I get

%make gplot.cc
making defaults.h from defaults.h.in
defaults.h is unchanged
making oct-conf.h from oct-conf.h.in
oct-conf.h is unchanged
flex -t -I DLD-FUNCTIONS/gplot.l > gplot.cc
"DLD-FUNCTIONS/gplot.l", line 217: unrecognized rule
make: *** [gplot.cc] Error 1
%flex --version
flex version 2.5.4

where line 217 is

217: {UNOP} {
218:     gpt_quote_is_transpose = false;
219:     gpt_allow_plotkw = true;
220:     return UNOP;
221:    }

however UNOP appears to be defined on line 111 just above. I don't know enough about flex to debug this one...

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary