Re: printing and saving

From: Paul Laub
Subject: Re: printing and saving
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:48:45 -0800

Dear "address@hidden",

Your basic questions about using Octave might be
addressed here --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave
    http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_toc.html
    http://www.octave.org/FAQ.html
    http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html

Keep in mind that Octave does not directly support
editing text files. Use your favorite text editor,
Notepad or whatever. Octave uses gnuplot
(www.gnuplot.info) for plotting and visualization. It
is a separate and, in my experience, powerful
program. Remember that Octave and gnuplot strive to be
platform independent.

You can save and reload data in your octave workspace
using Octave's "save" and "load" commands. Type "help
load" and "help save" at the Octave prompt to see the
documentation. Though it is dated, John Eaton's Octave
manual is an excellent place to start

    http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_toc.html

You can buy a nicely bound printed version of it at
amazon or other online bookseller

    http://www.network-theory.co.uk/octave/manual/

Also remember that many of us Octave users were
originally Matlab users. Knowing something about the
later teaches much about the former.

Hope this helps.

Paul Laub