Re: gnuplot commands

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: gnuplot commands
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:06:03 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

of the mails how to print out the commands octave sends to
gnuplot (actually two mails: the answers sent by J.W.Eaton and by
P.Kienzle to T.Kornack).
So I wrote: gnuplot_binary = "tee /tmp/a | gnuplot" at the octave
prompt and plotted a graph.
Apparenly this is not working anymore (octave 2.1-57, gnuplot
4.0), as, at the end of the day, there was no /tmp/a file.

I reported this problem (about "tee") approximately when 2.1.53
came out, but no-one was interested...
Anyway, the workaround is to make a shell "mygnuplot"

#!/bin/sh
tee /tmp/a | gnuplot

and then define gnuplot_binary="mygnuplot"

May be I do not understand what do you want to plot, but I think
the plot command you want to use in gnuplot is probably

plot "u" using 1:2 with points pointsize 0.4,\
     "u" using 1:3 with points pointsize 0.4,\
     "u" using 1:4 with points pointsize 0.8

Assuming the data file consist of three columns:
first is your X coordinates, first data set is the second column,
second dataset is the third, and average is the 4th column.
If your X is just an index (1,2,3,4,...) then you can skip first
column and do
plot "u" using 1 ...
     "u" using 2 ...
     "u" using 3 ...

See help on "plot using" in gnuplot.
(This is all off the top of my head, completely untested).

Thanks, Avraham

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Dmitri.