Re: Making graphic available for Latex ( on Mac)

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: Making graphic available for Latex ( on Mac)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 19:08:23 -0800

Hi. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but here is a good place to check up on (La)TeX on the Mac.

           & FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:address@hidden>

Cheers.
---John.

On Feb 3, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

LaTeX – A document preparation system
My question: If I had LaTex installed on my iMac with OS 10.2.8 would it take the place of MSWord X for producing my final document for submission to scientific journal. Or on my next Mac when Tiger comes out, LaTeX can take
the place of MSWord and I won't need it at all?

Using Octave/Gnuplot/AquaTerm I can save as pdf or eps. Current MS Word does not fully support PDFs and creates a bitmap, therefore print quality is not adequate. If I insert the EPS into MS Word, I can print with good quality but cannot see the eps on the screen because I don't have/don't know how to
make an EPS file with Tiff or PICT preview.

So is LaTex the solution to my problem? I could also buy iWorks which
supports PDF and therefore won't rasterize (make a bit map) of my PDF files
that were created with AquaTerm.
Henry