Re: Octave 2.1.64 broken?

From: Vadim Gutnik
Subject: Re: Octave 2.1.64 broken?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:35:55 -0600

David Bateman <address@hidden> writes:

> Vadim Gutnik wrote:
>
> Why exactly is the fact that isascii(1) doesn't work a bug?

Hmmm. I think it's a bug because
1) isascii(1) worked in octave 2.1.35.
2) isascii([1,'a']) works (though with a warning.)
3) I had code that did

     templine=fgetl(file,10);
     if (~isascii(templine))
         break
     endif

which is about what you'd do in C, and it worked up until the current
version. :)

> This function is supposed to identify the elements of a character matrix
> that are ascii (ie. between 0 and 127).

I guess it's not a bug if it's intentional, but it seems the old
behavior was more useful, for use in places like that code
snippet. (Yes, I could be checking for templine==-1, and I changed my
code already, but it still seems much more convenient for isascii to
do the conversion.)

> Patience...
Patience, patience... how long is that gonna take? :)

          Vadim