if statement within function

From: Ahn Kyung
Subject: if statement within function
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:57:17 +0000

I'm having trouble implementing if statement in a function. Here's an example:
---------------------
function y=f(x)
 if (x>1)
   y=1;
 else
   y=x.^2;
 endif
endfunction

x=[1;2];

octave:3> f(x)
ans =

 1
 4

octave:4> f(1)
ans = 1
octave:5> f(2)
ans = 1
You see? f(2)=1, as expected, but if I use a vector x=[1;2];, I get f(x)=[1;4]; When using a vector, the if statement is useless...

I don't want to pass each element, but want to use f(x) as a chunk, with a given vector x. What should I do to cure this problem??

Thank you in advance.