Evaluating quadratic functions

From: hanrahat
Subject: Evaluating quadratic functions
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:50:38 +0000

I'm having trouble understanding how to evaluate and plot quadratic functions.
Here's a sequence that explains what I'm trying to accomplish.  In particular,
I don't understand the error message "error: for A^b, A must be square" It
doesn't
seem that A being square has anything to do with the function.

Can anyone help me understand how to do this?

Thanks,

-- Tom

GNU Octave, version 2.1.50 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

octave:1> x = 1:1:2;
octave:2> sqrt(x)
ans =

  1.0000  1.4142

octave:3> exp(x)
ans =

  2.7183  7.3891

octave:4> function retval = linear(x)
> retval = x + 1;
> endfunction
octave:5> linear(x)
ans =

  2  3

octave:6> function retval = quad(x)
> retval = x^2;
> endfunction
octave:7> quad(x)
error: for A^b, A must be square
error: evaluating binary operator `^' near line 2, column 11
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 2, column 8
error: called from `quad'
octave:7>