Re: Verilog - x and z values with octave load

From: mavram
Subject: Re: Verilog - x and z values with octave load
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:01:43 +0200

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 04:27:23PM +1100, Luke Darnell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to load some data from a verilog simulation.
> My verilog simulation dumps each variable I am interested in, to a file
> of the same name.
> I am then using the octave command "load variable_name" to load the
> required variable_name.
> I am running into problems the when variable file has undefined values,
> "x", or high impedance values "z".
> "load" doesn't seem to like "x" or "z" values.
> Is there a way I can change "load" to read in "x" and "z"??
> Or does anyone have a better way of reading in values from a
> verilog/vhdl simulation??
>
> regards,
>
> Luke Darnell

Hi,
If you are on a Unix/linux system, the easiest way is to filter
your input through sed, for example, replacing any instance of x
or z by NaN. Load will accept that:
system("cat f_name | sed 's/z/NaN/g' | sed 's/x/NaN/g'>fakename");
f_name=load fakename;
(I assume, following your letter that the literal values appear
as isolated characters in the f_name file.
Otherwise, the way to go is to use the c-like input functions:
fopen, fscanf or fgetl and fclose. I cannot give a more definte answer
without seeing a sample input file -with scanf there is the
potential difficulty that files containing x/z will load shorter
arrays, with fgetl you need some trick when converting the
strings to numbers...
Good luck,
Avraham