Gcc 3.3, windows, and mingw

From: Frank Palazzolo
Subject: Gcc 3.3, windows, and mingw
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:24:25 -0500

Hello,

I am compiling octave-2.1.64 and octave-forge-cvs on windows, and I have
a couple questions.  I'm starting with the cygwin build, but I'm
planning to try mingw after that.

1) Would the slowness-problem with gcc 3.3 on cygwin also occur with a
mingw build, or is it a cygwin-specific issue?
2) What is the purpose of the fork() call in liboctave\mkdir.c,rename.c,
and rmdir.c?  I'm contemplating building a mingw version with no fork()
calls, but I don't really understand why they are there in the first
place.

Thanks,
Frank