Re: octave-forge, grace, and fink

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: octave-forge, grace, and fink
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:50:49 -0800

This indeed works great and the EPS-file may come in handy for the following
reason: Assume that you saved an Octave/GnuPlot/AquaTerm graph as pdf and
now insert it into MSWord because you have to submit a manuscript for review
as a single pdf (file) and you are using  MSWord for the text portion.  If
you print the MS Word document or the PDF of the whole MSWord file on a
Postscript Printer, the quality of the inserted PDF-figs are 'lousy' because
MSWord cannot handle the PDF with vector-based graphics too well and
rasterizes to a bitmap. One could submit separate PDF's for all the figs or
one could insert the EPS-figs. MSWord will not 'mess' with the EPS file and
will print it with best quality on a Postscript Printer. Problem is that one
cannot see the EPS file in the MSWord file unless the EPS is saved with Tiff
or Pict preview. My version of AquaTerm (0.1(V.0.3) does not provide for
this option but perhaps later version of AquaTerm do or will do.

Joe helped me with this offline. Thanks.
Henry