Re: Plotting many images on one figure

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plotting many images on one figure
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:09:01 -0800

Once, you have the saved image files, you could use the "montage" command of ImageMagick. Probably not exactly what you want since it requires work external to Octave, but I think it will give the desired result.

Jonathan

Daniel Déchelotte wrote:
Hi,

I would like to draw, say, a 10 by 10 grid of images, each of which is a 28
by 28 pixel, gray-level image. I couldn't get imshow() or image() to
display anything, I could only get saveimage generate a ppm image (PS seems
broken), and I can not see how I could arrange several of these images into
one figure.

Below:
 "siz" is 28
 "everything" is a [N, siz * siz] array (N = 100)
The following statement writes the first image in a ppm file:
 saveimage("test.ppm", reshape(everything(1,:), siz, siz)',...
           "ppm", colormap(gray(256)))

A Matlab(r) script I would like to port to octave:
nlines = 10;
ncolumns = 10;
for i=1:nlines * ncolumns,
  subplot(nlines, ncolumns, i);
  colormap(gray(256));
  image(reshape(everything(i,:), siz, siz)');
end

I am afraid I already know the answer (not possible), but I wouldn't like
to miss a solution if one exists. I am running octave2.0.17-8 but could be
using octave2.1.60-1 if that helps, on Linux (Debian sarge).

Regards,