Octave Installation problems

From: GERALD HOOPER
Subject: Octave Installation problems
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:32:28 +0000

Hi Octave Experts
I was recently give some Matlab V5 Software which required Window 95 which is now obsolete. The Linux Group at Leicester University suggested that I take a look at your Octave software which I did and downloaded and decompressed the tar archive OK. I then considered installing your Octave software but before doing so I decied to print out and read the shell files involved such as CONFIGURE!! This file took more than thirty pages of A4 to print and is such that I stand no chance of understanding its contents. The build processes for Octave seem to be very complex and involved and the instructions given in your Install files have really put me off proceeding further. I am currently running the latest version of SuSe Linux on a standard PC with dual Pentium II processors. There should be a binary version of Octave available for such a configuration and I would be grateful for your advice in locating and installing i without too much hastle.
Thanks
Dr Gerry Hooper