request recommendations for using octave with windows

From: Michael Creel
Subject: request recommendations for using octave with windows
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:49:21 +0100

Hello all,
I'm going to be teaching a class soon, and I'm going to have the students use
Octave. Most of them are Windows users. I'll offer the possibility to use a
Knoppix remaster to run Octave on Linux, but I imagine that most will prefer
to use Windows. So I need to install Octave on some windows machines. I need
Octave, any version from 2.1.57 or later, and a corresponding octave-forge. I
don't really care too much about performance, but I would like to avoid
surprises like the ascii save/load problem mentioned recently. Also, I've
seen a number of offerings of windows versions, but I haven't paid close
attention. Can people offer recommendations about which packages are easiest
to install and offer the most Linux-like functionality? TIA, Michael